Change In Circumstances The Key To Modification of Child Support Amount

Child Support Can Be Reduced or Increased by Making a Court Motion

If the facts support it and you make a formal motion to the court for a modification you can have support increased or reduced.  For example, if the  parent receiving the child support inherits money, gets a large raise or otherwise has an increased ability to support the children, support payments may be reduced for the paying parent. Or, if the paying parent loses his or her job, the court can be asked to reduce support during the period of unemployment or lower income.

Child support orders cannot be changed simply because one parent desires a change.  A change in the support amount will be based on evidence proving that sufficient grounds exist to make the change. This  requires a showing the  circumstances have changed from what they were when the order was entered.  (In the many years a child support order remains effective, the parent’s circumstances may change many times and  so may the child support order.)

If you want help with your child support payments call us.  We have 21 years of experience representing both the paying parent and the receiving parent.  We can fight for your rights to ensure you get the best deal.

Posted in Child Support

Recent Posts